Built in 1900 by architect François Kips, the Weighing Room building was where jockeys were weighed and weighted down so that all horses were carrying the same weight during the race. From 1942 onwards, architect Paul Breydel added a number of modernist buildings and annexes including, in 1951, the famous Weighing Room Annex.

Today, the Weighing Room is enjoying a new lease of life as a family restaurant, named in French Le Pesage, in reference to its former function.

The old building’s elegant lines have been carefully decorated and enhanced by interior designer Lionel Jadot, with Le Pesage making the ideal venue for a great meal out with family or friends.

www.lepesage.be

Yesterday

During the horse racing era, the Weighing Room was where jockeys and their saddles were weighed before races. The lightest of them were weighted down to give everyone the same chance of winning the race.

The weighing room was built in 1900 by the architect François Kips. From 1942 onwards, architect Paul Breydel added a number of Modernist buildings and annexes including, in 1951, the famous Weighing Room Annex.

With its strong heritage, the shell of the Weighing Room building has been faithfully restored. Breydel’s extension has also been preserved and restored.

Tomorrow

The Weighing Room will be renovated, with no change to its size, to house a 100-seat family brasserie based on an innovative new concept.

It occupies an important position on the site, forming a natural meeting and stopping point for visitors, whether alone or with friends.

The Weighing Room will be particularly popular among families with young children thanks to the fenced-off playground just to one side of the building.

The Weighing Room will also be an intergenerational area open to all for meeting, chatting and spending time with friends and family. At every hour of the day, visitors will be able to enjoy quality local foods. Particular attention is being paid to simple, tasty produce.

The recently restored exterior will be preserved and the following additions made:

  • a main entrance at the tower;
  • a ground-floor kitchen and logistics area behind the building;
  • a two-level restaurant linked by two separate staircases.

Top